The Best Private University 2010, TEMPO version

The number of private university (PTS) in Indonesia increases every year. According to 2007 data released by Indonesian Private University Association (APTISI), the number of private university in Indonesia was 2,761. It increases 200% from 1,293 universities in 1997.

The increased number of private universities forces PTS to compete in persuading high school students to enroll. Besides competing with local PTS, Indonesian PTS should also compete with foreign universities.

In September-October 2009, TEMPO once again conducted survey nationwide aims to determine The Best Indonesian Private University, TEMPO version. This survey is aimed to give guidance to parents and potential students in selecting private university that is suitable with their needs.

The survey is designed to collect quantitative data using interview method to 1,500 respondents from 7 regions in Indonesia, they are: Jabodetabek (300), Bandung (200), Semarang (200), DI Yogyakarta (200), Surabaya (200), Medan (200), and Makasar (200). The profile of respondents is 51% female high school students, and 49% male high school students. For parents, 51% are mothers, and 49% are fathers. For Social and Economic Status (SES), 58% from class A, 29% from class B, 11% from class C, and 2% from class D / E. Based on concentration, 57% are high school students majoring in social sciences (IPS) and the remaining 43% comes from natural sciences (IPA).

Respondents were selected using systematic random sampling method in which the sample data was taken from phonebook of customer. In order to ensure the results represent the existing population, the weighting factor was used by comparing number of potential student population and parents with total number of sample from each area. Parents and potential students are required to generally rate the private universities located from their area and categorized it from faculty/department level.

In order to determine the PTS ranking, survey result was calculated using descriptive analysis and Thurstone ranking. Therefore, the grade disparity on that ranking can also be seen.

Below are the results of survey conducted by Center for Data and Analysis TEMPO to determine the 2010 private university ranking. Complete survey results can be seen from TEMPO – UNIVERSITAS SWASTA TERBAIK 2010 – Panduan Memilih Perguruan Tinggi 2010 book (TEMPO - The 2010 Best Private University Ranking – A 2010 Guidance to Choose University book).


THE 2010 TOP 10 INDONESIAN PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES
1.Universitas Trisakti (USAKTI)
2.Universitas Parahyangan (UNPAR)
3.Universitas Islam Indonesia (UII)
4.Universitas Katolik Atmajaya
5.Universitas Bina Nusantara (UBINUS)
6.Universitas Kristen Indonesia (UKI)
7.Universitas Tarumanegara (UNTAR)
8.Universitas Surabaya (UBAYA)
9.Universitas Gunadarma
10. Universitas Pelita Harapan (UPH)
 
THE 2010 TOP 5 PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES in EAST JAVA PROVINCE

1.Universitas Surabaya (UBAYA)
2.UPN Jatim
3.STMIK SBY
4.UNTAG SBY
5.UK PETRA
 
THE 2010 BEST ECONOMICS and ACCOUNTING STUDY PROGRAM
1.Universitas Trisakti
2.UII
3.Universitas Surabaya (UBAYA)
4.Universitas Parahyangan
5.UISU
 
THE 2010 BEST LAW STUDY PROGRAM
1.Universitas Trisakti
2.UII
3.Universitas Surabaya (UBAYA)
4.Untag Semarang
5.UISU
 
THE 2010 BEST PSYCHOLOGY STUDY PROGRAM
1.UII
2.Unika Soegijapranata
3.Universitas Surabaya (UBAYA)
4.Unissula
5.Universitas Sanata Dharma (USD)
 
THE 2010 BEST PRIVATE UNIVERSITY, ACCORDING TO EAST JAVA RESPONDENTS

1.Universitas Surabaya (UBAYA)
2.Universitas Trisakti (USAKTI)
3.UPN Jatim
4.STIKOM Surabaya
5.Universitas Pancasila (UP)
6.Universitas Kristen PETRA
7.Universitas Tujuh Belas Agustus Surabaya (UNTAG)
8.ABFI Perbanas
9.Universitas Dr. Soetomo (UNITOMO)
10.Unika Atmajaya

 
Reference:
* Daru Priyambodo et.al, 2010, Panduan Memilih Perguruan Tinggi 2010, Pusat Data dan Analisa TEMPO, Jakarta